REG 23 – Certificate of Design Compliance and Building Permits2017-03-27T12:29:49+00:00

March 2017

Certificate of Design Compliance and Building Permits

WA  Hendry advises most building work requires a building permit under the Building Act 2011. The building permit is obtained from the relevant permit authority – usually the local government in whose area the building is located.

Under the Building Act 2011 a formal building permit application must be signed by each owner, consenting to the work being done on their land, and by the builder who will be responsible for the work.

The application must also include details about the proposed building or incidental structure, evidence that prescribed approvals have been complied with, and must be accompanied by payment of the Building Services Levy and the building permit fee paid to the permit authority. There are two sorts of applications for a building permit under the Building Act 2011 –

  1. A certified application, where the application contains a certificate of design compliance signed by a registered building surveyor that the building will meet the applicable standards;
  2. An uncertified application, where the permit authority is required to obtain a certificate of design compliance.

You can make a certified application for any class of building or incidental structure. The Building Act 2011 requires a registered building surveyor to audit the proposed design and sign a certificate of design compliance. When the building surveyor has signed the certificate of design compliance and you have all the information, approvals and fees needed you can submit a certified application for processing by the relevant permit authority (usually the local government where the building is to be located). The permit authority has 10 business days to process the application.

You can make an uncertified application for a class 1 (single residential) or class 10 (shed) building or incidental structure. The permit authority must get a registered building surveyor to audit the proposed design and sign a certificate of design compliance.

The permit authority will then process the application. There is a prescribed fee based on the value of the building work, and the permit authority must check, certify and process the application within 25 working days. Before you make an uncertified application you must still provide all the necessary information to allow the application to be processed.

The following checklist outlines the information required to accompany an application for a building permit stemming from the Building Regulation 2012.

Correct FormThere is a standard building permit application form that be downloaded from the Building Commissions Website. This form must be properly filled in and contain the necessary attachments
Name, contact details and signature of owner This protects against fraud and unauthorised building. The form can be signed at any stage prior to lodgment, and can be signed by authorised agents or officers of corporations
Name, contact details and signature of builderThis ensures the builder is prepared to take the responsibilities of the build under the Act
Certificate of Design Compliance (certified applications only)This must be on the approved form, signed by an appropriately registered building surveyor practitioner and issued by a registers building surveyor contractor or a local government
Technical Certificates relied on by the building surveyor
(certified applications only)
These include things like engineers certificates. The building surveyor signing the certificate of design compliance can choose to rely on technical certificates
Plans and SpecificationsA set of the plans and specifications that are specified in the certificate design compliance or that are required to be certified in an uncertified application. These must show how the building complies with the Building Standards
Evidence of Home Indemnity Insurance
(only applicable to home building work covered under the Home Building Contracts act)
A copy of the policy or brokers certificate is sufficient
Building Services LevyPayment is made to the permit authority and either forwarded to the
Building Commission when the permit is granted or refunded if the permit
is refused
Building Permit FeePayment is made to the permit authority. It is kept by the permit
authority if the permit is issued or refused within the prescribed time. It
must be refunded if the application is not processed within the prescribed
Construction Training FundApplies to all residential, commercial & civil engineering projects in WA where the total value of construction is more than $20,000

Download a print version of this bulletin