WA – HENDRY building surveyors advise that the Building Act 2011 allows for a builder or developers to engage private registered building surveyors to certify that the technical provisions of the building regulations and the Building Code of Australia (BCA) are complied with (certificate of design compliance) with the documentation lodged at the local council where a building permit under the Building Regulations is issued by the Council.

Building Permits – Building Act 2011 Building Regulations

Most building work requires a building permit under the Building Act 2011 and building regulations. The building permit is obtained from the relevant permit authority – usually the local government in whose area the building is located. Under the Building Act 2011 a formal building permit application must be signed by each owner, consenting to the work being done on their land, and by the builder who will be responsible for the work. The application must also include details about the proposed building or incidental structure, evidence that prescribed approvals have been complied with, and must be accompanied by payment of the Building Services Levy and the building permit fee paid to the permit authority. There are two sorts of applications for a building permit under the Building Act 2011 and building regulations –

  1. A certified application, where the application contains a certificate of design compliance signed by a registered building surveyor that the building will meet the applicable building regulations and standards;
  2. An uncertified application, where the permit authority is required to obtain a certificate of design compliance.

Certified Applications – Building Act 2011  Building Regulations

You can make a certified application for any class of building or incidental structure. The Building Act 2011 requires a registered building surveyor audits the proposed design and signs a certificate of design compliance. When the building surveyor has signed the certificate of design compliance and you have all the information, approvals and fees needed you can submit a certified application for processing by the relevant permit authority (usually the local government where the building is to be located). The permit authority has 10 business days to process the application.

Uncertified Applications – Building Act 2011 Building Regulations

You can make an uncertified application for a class 1 (single residential) or class 10 (shed) building or incidental structure. The permit authority under the Building Act 2011 must get a registered building surveyor to audit the proposed design and sign a certificate of design compliance. The permit authority will then process the application. There is a prescribed fee based on the value of the building work, and the permit authority must check, certify and process the application within 25 working days. Before you make an uncertified application you must still provide all the necessary information to allow the application to be processed.

The following check list outlines the information required to accompany an application for building permit under the Building Act 2011 stemming from the Building Regulations 2012.

Correct formThere is a standard building permit application form that be downloaded from the Building Commissions Website. This form must be properly filled in and contain the necessary attachments
Name, contact details and signature of the ownerThis protects against fraud and unauthorised building. The form can be signed at any stage prior to lodgement, and can be signed by authorised agents or officers of corporations