NSW – HENDRY building certifiers advise that the NSW Department of Planning’s Building Regulation Advisory Note BS 11 001 advises practitioners and the community of the requirement to provide smoke alarms to all moveable dwellings.

The Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (EPAA) requires smoke alarms to all residential buildings (dating from 2006) to include moveable dwellings.  Moveable dwellings are defined by the legislation as campervans, caravans, park vans, rigid annexes and associated structures, etc, but does not include tents or manufactured/ relocatable homes covered by other legislation.

Irrespective of whether the moveable dwelling is road registered or not, and irrespective of wherever the moveable dwelling stands or is passing through NSW, smoke alarms must be installed for all moveable dwellings that are being used for sleeping.

Some facts about the requirements:

  • An AS 3786 smoke alarm fitted with a hush button is required;
  • Heat alarms are not permitted;
  • A smoke alarm must be installed to all sleeping areas, i.e. an attached annexe to a caravan may be utilised as a bedroom and therefore requires an additional installation;
  • A licensed electrician must install hard wired smoke alarms, otherwise battery operated alarms can be installed by the moveable dwelling owner;
  • The owner of the moveable dwelling, not the owner of the land, is responsible for ensuring that a functioning smoke alarm is installed and maintained;
  • $200 on-the-spot fines for failing to have a functioning smoke alarm will apply.

Building Legislation Table

Refer to our Building Legislation table for further information on construction certificates and Principal Certifying Authority.