QLD – HENDRY building certifiers has had many questions and confusion from site supervisors and facility managers with regard to their responsibilities and requirements for registration with the Building Services Authority.  Are you directly supervising or carrying out building work on your site with a value more than $3300? If the answer to this question is yes, then a BSA licence is required to carry out the building work.  

The Building Services Authority regulates the building industry through its registration process of contractors. Where building work, whether they be repair works for a building that you directly supervise or minor construction works – generally if the value of the building work exceed $3300.00 threshold and you are directly supervising or carrying out the building work yourself, then either yourself as the supervisor, the contractor you engage or the company you are employed with must hold an appropriate license.

The definition of building work under the Building Services Authority Act is as follows:
(a) the erection or construction of a building; or
(b) the renovation, alteration, extension, improvement or repair of a building; or
(c) the provision of lighting, heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, water supply, sewerage or drainage in connection with a building; or
(e) any site work (including the construction of retaining structures) related to work of a kind referred to above; or
(f) the preparation of plans or specifications for the performance of building work; or
(fa) contract administration carried out by a person in relation to the construction of a building designed by the person; or
(g) fire protection work; or
(h) carrying out site testing and classification in preparation for the erection or construction of a building on the site; or
(i) carrying out a completed building inspection; or
(j) the inspection or investigation of a building, and the provision of advice or a report, for the following–
(i) termite management systems for the building;
(ii) termite infestation in the building;
but does not include work of a kind excluded by regulation from the ambit of this definition.

The  Building Services Authority website provides a detailed list of the all appropriate license classes and comments extensively on building work.