QLD – HENDRY building certifiers have provided due diligence audits to many clients to establish answers to questions under laws relating to the building regulations including the Building Act 1997, Sustainable Planning Act 2009, Sustainable Planning Regulation 2009, Building Fire Safety Regulation 2008 and the Building Code of Australia (BCA). Some due diligence audit questions to building certifiers are:
- What parts of the building do not comply with the building regulations and Building Code of Australia?
- How much will it cost to bring the building up to full or partial compliance?
- What compliance obligations need to be met to facilitate a change of use or change of occupancy within the building?
- Is there an alternative fire safety package that can be agreed upon which complies with the intent of the regulations while being cheaper to implement?
- What protection works for the adjoining property apply if I build on my property?
- Is my fire safety installations compliance up to date under the building regulations?
Full compliance may not be the objective in due diligence audits, but an owner may want a fall-back position in terms of a minimum fire safety package relating to the major fire safety items listed in the Building Code of Australia for the building. Due diligence audits can cost these items (as recommended by building certifiers) for an owner and used if necessary, in negotiations with a prospective purchaser or insurance company.
HENDRY building certifiers can include in due diligence audits, strategies for upgrading an existing building to achieve an acceptable degree of BCA compliance, commensurate with community expectations. Our building certifiers’ due diligence audits provide the necessary information for buyers to make informed purchasing decisions, and for sellers to maximise their property value potential.
Depending on the size of building and its complexity, some due diligence audits can take time to perform by building certifiers. It is in the best interest of the client to gather as much technical information on the building as possible before due diligence audits are commenced by building certifiers.
Building Legislation Table
Fire Safety Compliance: Fire Safety Installations
For building surveying consultancy advice please contact our closest HENDRY office by clicking here.